2015 Personal Best Contest - First Place Large Barns & Garages
In 2012, devastation struck the Watts Family Farm in Pine City, New York, when a fire destroyed their dairy barn. The 50+ year old structure was built by the parents of Mark and Jim Watts, the successors to the family business, and has been used as a source of income ever since. Although there were no animals harmed in this tragic event, the fire burnt the barn to the ground leaving nothing but ash and rubble. This misfortune left the Watts brothers with no other choice than to rebuild the family farm back to business. Having previously owned an LT15 portable sawmill, the Watts brothers knew another Wood-Mizer mill was exactly what they needed for the job. So they decided to go with a larger version with a few enhancements to make the building process go quickly and
smoothly, and made their way to Hannibal, New York to purchase an LT35 Hydraulic portable sawmill.
With the help of family and friends, as well as the hydraulic loading option, using old fashioned barn raising, the dairy barn was completely rebuilt just nine months and 20,000 board feet later. Using the lumber from hemlock, ash, maple, and oak trees, 85% of the wood was harvested from their property and the other 15% was donated to the cause. The Watts brothers saved a whopping $75,000 on the reconstruction of the barn and even added some improvements, such as a modern milking parlor. A mere nine months after the fire destroyed their family business, they were milking cows again. Mark gave his appreciation, “This project could not have become a reality without the LT35 and help of so many.” Although this tragic event left a scar on the Watts Farm, the friendships and memories made from rebuilding the dairy barn are unforgettable. The Watts family rejoiced and came back from this misfortune stronger than ever. “We were able to milk cows again in the barn that our parents started in 1960, that is something that can not be put into words,” said Mark and Jim. “We have been back milking now almost three years and still get choked up when we think of all we went through in 2012.”
Tagged With: LT35 Hydraulic Portable Sawmill
Categories: All, Barns, Personal Best 2015